according to a new report.
On Wednesday, environmental group Heal the Bay released its 2011 Beach Report Card, grading hundreds of beaches along the west coast.
The grades are based beach water quality samples taken at least once a week. The ratings are also split into four time frames: summer dry season, year-round dry weather, winter dry weather and year-round wet weather, according to Heal the Bay.
Eight LA County beaches received year-round F grades, with four of those ranking among the worst 10 in the state (see below).
Ventura County appears to be the crown jewel of local beaches with all 40 beaches receiving A grades for dry weather monitoring.
- Cowell Beach – at the wharf (Santa Cruz County)
- Avalon Harbor Beach on Catalina Island (Los Angeles County)
- Cabrillo Beach harborside (Los Angeles County)
- Topanga State Beach at creek mouth (Los Angeles County)
- Poche Beach (Orange County)
- North Beach/Doheny (Orange County)
- Arroyo Burro Beach (Santa Barbara County)
- Baker Beach at Lobos Creek (San Francisco County)
- Colorado Lagoon (Los Angeles County)
- Capitola Beach -- west of the jetty (Santa Cruz County)